Monday, February 17, 2014

Artist Showcase – Lina E Creations

Welcome to another edition of Artist Spotlight, our regular Monday blog.  This week’s artist is Lina E from Lina E Creations. Lina creates handpainted miniature and acrylic paintings, miniature clay houses and unique home decoration.  Here is one of Lina’s creations:


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I am Lina, a wife and stay at home mom of a 7 year old boy and a passionate crafter/artist. Currently I am working with air drying clay, creating either miniature houses or incorporating it in mixed media canvases and more recently I have started painting on wooden utility items.


How did you get your start?

It all started back in 1994. I was living in Boston MA at the time and enrolled in an Adult Learning Center for some drawing courses…I was immediately drawn to it.

When I returned to Greece in 1996 I started my experimentation with air drying clay and I haven’t stopped since.


Where do you get your inspiration?

Everywhere! And honestly Etsy is a great place to get inspired. Just browsing so many talented people’s work is a huge inspiration for me.


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

Well, it might sound mellow, but it was one morning that I had finished some mixed media canvases and I was so eager to hear the critique of the two important men in my life, my husband and son…What happened was they each grabbed a piece and said: “You are not selling this, this is mine to keep forever”…To this day each one of them keeps their canvases, my husband at his office and my son in his room…To this day I still feel their look of admiration upon me which makes feel more than happy go lucky girl!


What challenges do you face selling online?

A million would be an understatement! I’m constantly studying on how to become better with my work, SEO, proper tagging, social media and more….Some days I just feel overwhelmed. But selling online has given me the enormous opportunity to reach people in the other side of the Atlantic Ocean and even more far away! It has also set a high standard for what I create, making me want to be even better in what I do, all the time…


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

My advice, prepare well before you open your shop. Being well prepared in advance will save you time later on when the only thing you want to do is creating. I have to admit that I started the other way around but after a break I took from Etsy for some months I got time to do a lot of research and study so when I re-opened my shop last November I was more focused on what I want to do and how to do it. Needless to say that you must be willing to keep doing your homework, and thankfully Etsy organizes very interesting things, like Etsy School I’m participating this month, which helps you see your shop through the eyes of another seller and gives you the opportunity to work more on the things you want to improve as a seller.

 

Thank you Lina for sharing your story with us. 

Well that wraps up another edition of Artist Spotlight.  We try and run this column every Monday and we’re always looking for artists to spotlight.  So if you are interested or know someone that we’d enjoy reading about please pass on the information.

Thanks for stopping by,

Until next time…
 
 

No comments: